Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
Buses

James and Lancman Push for Driver Alert Tech on City Vehicles

We need every tool avail to achieve #VisionZero. Calling on NYC to pilot collision avoidance tech in City vehicles. pic.twitter.com/KpLTYO5ekq

— Letitia James (@TishJames) July 29, 2015

A new City Council bill would require crash avoidance technology on at least 100 city-owned vehicles that alerts drivers before a collision occurs, and potentially applies brakes to prevent a crash.

The legislation, sponsored by Public Advocate Letitia James and Council Member Rory Lancman, would require a one-year pilot program on 100 vehicles in the city's 28,000-car fleet, followed by a study on its cost and effectiveness at reducing crashes.

The technology includes cameras for improved driver visibility or warnings to drivers of pedestrians or cyclists in their blind spots. It can also alert drivers and apply emergency braking in advance of potential rear-end collisions, which comprise almost one in three crashes in the city fleet that result in injury.

There are 85,000 government employees with access to city-owned vehicles. Last year, non-NYPD drivers were involved in 5,805 collisions resulting in 584 injuries, including 49 crashes that injured pedestrians and 15 that injured bicyclists.

"Everyday New Yorkers are still at too high a risk of being killed or seriously injured by a motor vehicle,” James said in a press release. “Every year, there are thousands of collisions involving City drivers that end up costing lives and millions of dollars. We must examine every possible avenue to reduce crashes, which is why we must examine and test collision avoidance technology that could help save lives and taxpayer money.”

During fiscal years 2007 through 2014, there were 1,213 pedestrian personal injury claims filed against the city, according to Comptroller Scott Stringer. Taxpayers shelled out $88,134,915 during that period for pedestrian injury cases.

On Wednesday, James and Lancman demonstrated the collision avoidance systems with representatives from Mobileye and Rosco Vision Systems, which manufacture the technology. It costs up to $1,500 for most cars and up to $10,000 for large vehicles like buses, according to the Daily News. The city is already testing out the technology on 10 trucks and vans in fleets serving five agencies.

In addition to city-owned vehicles, other fleets are experimenting with similar technology.

In April, the Taxi and Limousine Commission launched its own one-year pilot of data recorder and driver alert technology. As of June, a total of 10 taxis and for-hire vehicles have had technology installed from three participating vendors: IonFleets, Datatrack247 and Mobileye [PDF].

The MTA is also examining the installation of driver alert and crash avoidance technology on its buses, as well as external audible alarms to warn pedestrians that a bus is nearby. "We’ll have more to say in the coming weeks," said MTA spokesperson Kevin Ortiz.

The technology is strongly backed by the union representing bus drivers. "TWU has urged the MTA to deploy accident-prevention technology, including pedestrian warning alerts, and will continue to do so," TWU Local 100 President John Samuelsen said in a statement. "We can all agree that common-sense safety upgrades, including the elimination of bus operator blind spots, are long overdue."

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

STATE OF EMERGENCY UDATE: Road Travel Ban Begins at 9 P.M. On Sunday, LIRR Suspended

No travel on roads after 9 p.m., though Streetsblog's Emergency Weather Desk is now predicting 12 to 14 inches as of 1:30 p.m. on Sunday. Check back for updates.

February 22, 2026

Gov. Hochul Just Says ‘Way-No’ to Driverless Cabs Across NYS

The governor made the shocking choice to reverse her budget proposal that allowed companies like Waymo to expand throughout the state.

February 20, 2026

Friday Video: How Many ‘Better Billion’ Plans Are There?

Apparently, there are lots of better ways to spend $1 billion.

February 20, 2026

Friday’s Headlines: You’ve Gov To See It For Yourself Edition

South Bronx anti-highway advocates want Gov. Hochul to come see the site of her proposed Cross Bronx widening for herself. Plus more news.

February 20, 2026

SEE IT: Placard Corruption at Antonio Reynoso’s Brooklyn Borough Hall

The progressive darling promised to end the rampant practice of illegal parking around Borough Hall — but has continued to issue unofficial placards that enable it.

February 19, 2026

Thursday’s Headlines: Set Our Calendar Edition

The next four weeks are setting up to be the World Cup tournament of the livable streets movement. Plus other news.

February 19, 2026
See all posts