Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
MTA

MTA Reorg: Respected Exec Monheim Out, Cuomo Operative In

A "shake-up" is underway at the top levels of the MTA, reported Crain's Insider this morning. Two top executives, Charles Monheim and Linda Kleinbaum, are on their way out the door. Moving into the agency is Steve Morello, a political operative with deep ties to the Cuomo family.

Charles Monheim, a widely respected MTA executive, is leaving the agency. On the way in is a political insider with deep ties to the Cuomo family. Image: Adams IV for Daily News

The departure of Monheim represents a loss of institutional knowledge and energy that will have to be replaced. Monheim was brought back to the MTA, where he had previously worked, as chief operating officer under former chair Jay Walder. After Joe Lhota took the helm of the transit agency, he became the MTA's director of strategic initiatives. In those roles, Monheim earned a reputation as a creative thinker and experienced transit operator. "I have a pretty high opinion of him," said Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign. "I think of him as the generator of ideas and strategies."

In his first run at the MTA, in the 1980s, Monheim helped oversee the rehabilitation of the decrepit subway system. More recently, he has been the force behind delivering riders real-time arrival information for subways and buses. He was also leading the efforts to move from the MetroCard to a new smart card fare payment system, having successfully done the same in London. An article from City and State last year titled Monheim "Mr. Fix-It."

Kleinbaum, currently the MTA's deputy executive director for administration, will be retiring, reported Crain's. Current director of government affairs Hilary Ring will shift into her spot, with Morello moving into Ring's position.

Morello, whom Transportation Nation called a "longtime political insider," has served both the current and former Governor Cuomo. He was Mario Cuomo’s press secretary and most recently worked as Andrew Cuomo’s deputy director of communications before heading to the MTA.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

STATE OF EMERGENCY UDATE: Road Travel Ban Begins at 9 P.M. On Sunday, LIRR Suspended

No travel on roads after 9 p.m., though Streetsblog's Emergency Weather Desk is now predicting 12 to 14 inches as of 1:30 p.m. on Sunday. Check back for updates.

February 22, 2026

Gov. Hochul Just Says ‘Way-No’ to Driverless Cabs Across NYS

The governor made the shocking choice to reverse her budget proposal that allowed companies like Waymo to expand throughout the state.

February 20, 2026

Friday Video: How Many ‘Better Billion’ Plans Are There?

Apparently, there are lots of better ways to spend $1 billion.

February 20, 2026

Friday’s Headlines: You’ve Gov To See It For Yourself Edition

South Bronx anti-highway advocates want Gov. Hochul to come see the site of her proposed Cross Bronx widening for herself. Plus more news.

February 20, 2026

SEE IT: Placard Corruption at Antonio Reynoso’s Brooklyn Borough Hall

The progressive darling promised to end the rampant practice of illegal parking around Borough Hall — but has continued to issue unofficial placards that enable it.

February 19, 2026

Thursday’s Headlines: Set Our Calendar Edition

The next four weeks are setting up to be the World Cup tournament of the livable streets movement. Plus other news.

February 19, 2026
See all posts