Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
Carnage

Drivers Have Killed Seven People on Hylan Boulevard in 12 Months [Updated]

Update: The victim in this crash was identified as Mary Cerqua. The driver, Deborah Pecoraro, blamed Cerqua for the collision, but video footage led police to charge Pecoraro with a Right of Way Law violation, according to the Daily News. NY1 posted video of the crash.

A motorist struck and killed a senior in a crosswalk on Hylan Boulevard this morning.

The crash happened at 9:24 a.m. The 73-year-old victim was crossing Hylan east to west when she was hit by the driver of a Nissan SUV, who was turning left onto the boulevard from Wiman Avenue, the Staten Island Advance reported.

The victim sustained head trauma and was pronounced dead at Staten Island University Hospital, according to the Advance. Police had not released her name as of early this afternoon, pending family notification. The driver was identified only as a 55-year-old woman.

A police spokesperson could not confirm who had the right of way, but told Streetsblog "the motorist was taken in for questioning." The NYPD public information office had no further details about the investigation.

Drivers have killed at least seven people walking or biking on Hylan Boulevard in the last 12 months, according to crash data tracked by Streetsblog. City data show 17 people were injured in crashes at Hylan and Wiman since 2010.

Data compiled by the state indicate the number of crashes in Staten Island dropped last year, but traffic fatalities almost doubled compared to 2014. A 2015 DOT report found that while the number of pedestrians killed by motorists citywide declined sharply since the 1980s, Staten Island showed no downward trend.

Meanwhile, Staten Island electeds are far more inclined to pander to motorists -- even those who break traffic laws -- than take action to make streets safer.

This morning's fatal crash occurred in the 122nd Precinct, where officers issued just 200 failure to yield summonses in 2015, and in the City Council district represented by Joe Borelli.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

Gov. Hochul Just Says ‘Way-No’ to Driverless Cabs Across NYS

The governor made the shocking choice to reverse her budget proposal that allowed companies like Waymo to expand throughout the state.

February 20, 2026

Friday Video: How Many ‘Better Billion’ Plans Are There?

Apparently, there are lots of better ways to spend $1 billion.

February 20, 2026

Friday’s Headlines: Gov’ See It For Yourself Edition

South Bronx anti-highway advocates want Gov. Hochul to come see the site of her proposed Cross Bronx widening for herself. Plus more news.

February 20, 2026

SEE IT: Placard Corruption at Antonio Reynoso’s Brooklyn Borough Hall

The progressive darling promised to end the rampant practice of illegal parking around Borough Hall — but has resumed his corrupt predecessor’s practice.

February 19, 2026

Thursday’s Headlines: Set Our Calendar Edition

The next four weeks are setting up to be the World Cup tournament of the livable streets movement. Plus other news.

February 19, 2026

Cycle Club Sues City, Calling Central Park Bike Speed Limit A ‘Real Threat’ To Active Transportation

The oldest recreational bike club sued the city alleging it overstepped with 15 mile per hour speed limit in Central Park.

February 18, 2026
See all posts