Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
Bushwick

Myrtle-Wyckoff Plaza Gets Near-Unanimous Approval From Queens CB 5

The city held a successful one-day plaza at the location in April. Photo: David Meyer
A one-day trial plaza on Wyckoff Avenue in April went off without a hitch. Photo: David Meyer
The city held a successful one-day plaza at the location in April. Photo: David Meyer

With 29 votes in favor, none against, and one abstention, Queens Community Board 5 overwhelmingly endorsed DOT's safety plan for the Myrtle-Wyckoff transit hub last night. The project would significantly reduce potential conflicts between turning drivers and pedestrians, mainly by creating a car-free plaza on Wyckoff Avenue between Gates and Myrtle [PDF].

Pedestrians outnumber motorists at the six-legged Myrtle-Wyckoff intersection, located at the junction of two subway lines and six bus routes, three to one, according to DOT. But it's not safe -- three people have been killed while walking there since 2009.

While the city implemented minor changes in recent years, the new turn restrictions weren't enough. A turning bus driver struck and killed Edgar Torres in 2014 after the changes were made.

The car-free block will further simplify turning movements and give pedestrians a safer path between the Myrtle-Wyckoff subway station and the Ridgewood Bus Terminal on Palmetto Street.

In 2013, Judy Kottick lost her daughter, Ella Bandes, when a turning bus driver struck and killed her at the intersection. "It was very gratifying that Community Board 5 really considered the redesign and gave us their support," said Kottick, who attended last night. Not one person spoke against the project during the meeting's public comment section, she said.

The car-free block will give pedestrians a safer path between the Myrtle-Wyckoff subway station and the Ridgewood Bus Terminal on Palmetto Street. Image: DOT

The project straddles Brooklyn and Queens, and Brooklyn CB 4 voted against it last month. Council Member Antonio Reynoso, who represents parts of both community districts, has argued that DOT should move forward with the project regardless of what the boards advised. State Senator Joseph Addabbo also testified in favor of the project last night, as did a representative from Congresswoman Nydia Velazquez's office.

It's up to DOT whether to move forward with the project. Streetsblog has asked what the agency plans to do next and has yet to receive a reply.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

SEE IT: Placard Corruption at Antonio Reynoso’s Brooklyn Borough Hall

The progressive darling promised to end the rampant practice of illegal parking around Borough Hall — but has resumed his corrupt predecessor’s practice.

February 19, 2026

Thursday’s Headlines: Set Our Calendar Edition

The next four weeks are setting up to be the World Cup tournament of the livable streets movement. Plus other news.

February 19, 2026

Cycle Club Sues City, Calling Central Park Bike Speed Limit A ‘Real Threat’ To Active Transportation

The oldest recreational bike club sued the city alleging it overstepped with 15 mile per hour speed limit in Central Park.

February 18, 2026

Mamdani Budget Adds Staff, Cash For More Bus And Bike Projects

The mayor wants to fill a budget gap identified by fiscal watchdogs as a key roadblock to making buses faster and cycling safer.

February 18, 2026

Advocates to MTA: More Fare Caps Will Be Fairer For All

The MTA has not introduced daily or monthly OMNY fare caps, even as it phased out daily and monthly MetroCards.

February 18, 2026

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda: Lessons for the Future of Congestion Pricing

This is how New York can take full advantage of congestion pricing.

February 18, 2026
See all posts