Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
Bicycling

Bronx Beep Ruben Diaz Jr. Calls for Better Bikeway on Grand Concourse

The Grand Concourse has bike lanes above 162nd Street, but they're often blocked by double-parked cars. Image via Google Maps
Even where it has a bike lane, such at 163rd Street above, the Grand Concourse puts cyclists' safety at risk. Photo: Google Maps

Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. wants better bike infrastructure on the Grand Concourse.

In his “State of the Borough” speech on Thursday, Diaz said a bike lane on the Concourse is among his 2016 policy goals. "We’ve made improvements to the Grand Concourse, and we will bring a dedicated bike lane to this iconic roadway," Diaz said.

Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz, Jr.
Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz, Jr.
Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz, Jr.

The Grand Concourse extends about five miles from the southwestern tip of the borough to Mosholu Parkway. Below 162nd Street there are no bike lanes. Last year a cyclist was killed crossing the Concourse by Franz Sigel Park at 158th Street.

Above 162nd Street the Concourse has a central roadway and service roads. The service roads have buffered bike lanes next to curbside parking, but they're faded and prone to blockage by double-parked cars. Converting those bike lanes to a Queens Boulevard-style design should be a relatively simple matter.

DOT is expected to put forward a redesign of the Grand Concourse soon. It is one of four "Vision Zero Great Streets" slated to receive a combined $250 million in capital improvements over the next few years.

Transportation Alternatives’ Bronx Activist Committee has been pushing for a “complete street” redesign of the Grand Concourse, organizing monthly “Complete the Concourse” rides and winning the support of council members Ritchie Torres and Andy Cohen. With Diaz on board for improved bike infrastructure, political support is aligning nicely.

Diaz spokesperson John DeSio confirmed that he has decided to support safety improvements on the Grand Concourse, and that the ball is in DOT’s court to move forward with a proposal. “A lot of the Grand Concourse doesn’t [have bike lanes] and we want to make sure we have a safe and consistent means to cycle up the Grand Concourse,” he said.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

Thursday’s Headlines: Set Our Calendar Edition

The next four weeks are setting up to be the World Cup tournament of the livable streets movement. Plus other news.

February 19, 2026

Cycle Club Sues City, Calling Central Park Bike Speed Limit A ‘Real Threat’ To Active Transportation

The New York Cycle Club filed a lawsuit against the city alleging it overstepped with 15 mile per hour speed limit in Central Park.

February 18, 2026

Mamdani Budget Adds Staff, Cash For More Bus And Bike Projects

The mayor wants to fill a budget gap identified by fiscal watchdogs as a key roadblock to making buses faster and cycling safer.

February 18, 2026

Advocates to MTA: More Fare Caps Will Be Fairer For All

The MTA has not introduced daily or monthly OMNY fare caps, even as it phased out daily and monthly MetroCards.

February 18, 2026

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda: Lessons for the Future of Congestion Pricing

This is how New York can take full advantage of congestion pricing.

February 18, 2026

Wednesday’s Headlines: What’s In the Couch Cushions Edition

All eyes were on Mayor Zohran Mamdani's first budget, but we were looking for the spare change for DOT. Plus other news.

February 18, 2026
See all posts