Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
Astoria

Richard Brown: Homicide Conviction for Driver Who Killed Betty DiBiaso

Queens DA Richard Brown secured a homicide plea from the hit-and-run driver who killed Betty DiBiaso. DiBiaso photo via GoFundMe
Queens DA Richard Brown secured a homicide plea from the hit-and-run driver who killed Betty DiBiaso. DiBiaso photo via GoFundMe
Queens DA Richard Brown secured a homicide plea from the hit-and-run driver who killed Betty DiBiaso. DiBiaso photo via GoFundMe

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown won a homicide conviction against a hit-and-run driver who killed a woman near Astoria Park last summer.

Betty Jean DiBiaso was leaving the park at around 12:26 a.m. on June 27 when Nicholas Colleran, 24, ran a stop sign and hit her with a Chevrolet sedan as she crossed Ditmars Boulevard at 19th Street in a marked crosswalk, according to a statement from Brown’s office. DiBiaso was 21 years old.

Colleran’s damaged car was found the same day, and he turned himself in at the 114th Precinct on June 28. “Colleran stated to police that he had consumed two beers prior to driving and had hit Ms. DiBiasio,” and “was unable to produce a valid driver’s license,” according to Brown’s office.

Yesterday Brown announced that Colleran pled guilty to criminally negligent homicide and failure to yield.

“This case is yet another example of how deadly motor vehicles can be and the consequences of ignoring traffic regulations,” Brown said in the statement. “Driving is a privilege, not a right, and extreme caution should be exercised at all times in order to prevent lives from being senselessly destroyed.”

Acting Supreme Court Justice Dorothy Chin-Brandt sentenced Colleran “to the maximum under the law -- an indeterminate term of one and one-third years to four years in prison,” the statement said.

DiBiaso's death intensified the push to get the city to calm traffic in the area of the park, with backing from City Council Member Costa Constantinides, the Astoria Park Alliance, and other citizen groups. In October Constantinides and Assembly Member Aravella Simotas hosted a public workshop to gather input on potential safety fixes.

Astoria Park is separated from the East River by Shore Boulevard, which acts as a barrier between park users and the waterfront. In August Simotas and the Alliance called on DOT to make Shore Boulevard car-free between Astoria Park South and Ditmars Boulevard. DOT rejected the car-free proposal earlier this month.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

Rider Advocates Snub Mamdani’s Event After Mayor Opts Against Fordham Busway

Riders Alliance criticized Mamdani for eschewing the city's "original" busway plan that he campaigned to implement.

February 13, 2026

DE-ADAMSIZATION: Mamdani Restores Multiple Street Redesigns Killed By Eric Adams

The new mayor turns the page on four frustrating years of Eric Adams killing crucial street projects.

February 13, 2026

Q&A: Mamdani Biz Regulator Sam Levine Isn’t Afraid To Take On Big Tech

Levine's Department of Consumer and Worker Protection is a key regulatory force against the fast-growing delivery app industry, which has huge consequences for the city's public realm.

February 13, 2026

Commish Tisch: Fix in Mix For 311

The Adams appointee wants to revamp the 311 system so that police responses are trackable.

February 13, 2026

On Board! New Yorkers Want Weekend G Train Extension to Forest Hills

More service is a no-brainer, riders said.

February 13, 2026
See all posts