This Week: BRT for the Rockaways, Kidical Mass Rides Again
Public meeting season is back in full swing on the calendar, with forums about fixing dangerous streets, upgrading pedestrian plazas, and bringing better bus service to southeast Queens. On Friday, Atlantic Avenue merchants celebrate Park(ing) Day. And closing out the week: It’s Kidical Mass.
Here are the highlights — check the Streetsblog calendar for the full slate of events:
- Today: Currently implemented with temporary materials, Clinton Hill’s Putnam Plaza is slated to be redesigned to create a permanent public space. DOT will be collecting input on the project tonight. 6 p.m.
- Tuesday: The Brooklyn CB 2 Transportation and Public Safety Committee kicks off its 2014-2015 session with a briefing from the Department of City Planning about the future of Atlantic Avenue. 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: Queens CB 2 will hear from DOT on a proposed Slow Zone for Sunnyside. Public comments will be accepted. 7 p.m.
- Thursday: DOT and Council Member Donovan Richards hold a forum on public transportation in the Rockaways, to talk with residents about Bus Rapid Transit along Woodhaven Boulevard and Cross Bay Boulevard and better bus service across the peninsula. 7 p.m. RSVP requested.
- Friday: It’s Park(ing) Day on Atlantic Avenue. Join NYC Bike Ambassadors, the Transportation Alternatives Brooklyn Activist Committee, and the Atlantic Avenue BID at a series of pop-up parks on Atlantic between Hicks Street and Fourth Avenue. 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday: Kidical Mass hits the Brooklyn waterfront. Kidical Mass brings together kids and parents for group bike rides, helping riders of all ages gain experience as city cyclists. Saturday’s ride begins at 2:30 p.m. Details are here.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.