Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
Borough Park

Pedestrian Abraham Samet Killed by Driver in Borough Park Last Monday

Streetsblog has learned that the man killed by the driver of a van in Borough Park last week was Abraham Samet, 68.

NYPD told Streetsblog that Samet was struck while crossing New Utrecht Avenue at 12th Avenue at 12:33 p.m. on Monday, March 12. He was pronounced dead on arrival at Maimonides Medical Center. No arrests were made and the investigation is ongoing, according to police.

Bystanders interviewed by DNAinfo and VIN News, along with the driver himself, relayed details that point to speed as a potential factor. Witnesses said they heard a loud noise at the moment of impact and that Samet was thrown approximately 15 feet. The driver, who spoke with DNAinfo but would not give his name, said he tried to avoid Samet but could not stop in time.

Another witness, shown in the VIN video, commented on dangerous conditions at the site of the crash, where New Utrecht and 12th meet at 50th Street in the shadow of the D train. The intersection was the scene of 21 crashes resulting in 25 pedestrian injuries between 1995 and 2009, while nearby blocks saw numerous pedestrian fatalities and scores of pedestrian and cyclist injuries, according to Transportation Alternatives' CrashStat.

Samet is one of three elderly New Yorkers killed by drivers in March. An unnamed 65-year-old man was struck by a hit-and-run driver in Flushing on March 8. A day earlier, Margaret Myers, 69, was mowed down by a Domino's delivery driver in East New York.

This fatal crash occurred in the 66th Precinct. To voice your concerns about neighborhood traffic safety directly to Deputy Inspector John Sprague, the commanding officer, head to the next precinct community council meeting. The 66th Precinct council meetings happen at 7:30 p.m. on the third Thursday of the month at 59-10 13 Avenue. Call the precinct at 718-851-5601 for information.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

U.S. DOT Secretary Sean Duffy ‘Has No Idea’ of NYC in Subway Photo Op with Eric Adams

He's still spreading lies. But this time, he didn't let anyone know where he'd be so he could field questions from friendly reporters and face no pushback from a compliant Mayor Adams.

April 4, 2025

Friday’s Headlines: It’s the ‘Shithole’ Super Bowl

We hear that U.S. DOT Secretary Sean Duffy will be riding the subway today. Plus other news.

April 4, 2025

Fare Fares: Here’s How Much Outdoor Dining Costs Restaurants

Restaurant owners have to shell out big to serve outdoors.

April 4, 2025

US DOT Doesn’t Want to Fund Road Diets Anymore

The feds will look "unfavorably" on applications that reduce lane capacity for vehicles – despite their congestion and safety benefits.

April 4, 2025

Friday Video: Get Thee to Ghent

Clarence Eckerson revisits the Belgian city — and finds that everything is working exactly as planned.

April 4, 2025
See all posts