Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
Curb Jumping

Epileptic Cab Driver on Trial for Murder for Bronx Sidewalk Killings

Tierre Clark and Kadeem Brown were on a Grand Concourse sidewalk when they were run over and killed by Emilio Garcia.
Tierre Clark and Kadeem Brown were on a Grand Concourse sidewalk when they were run over and killed by Emilio Garcia.
Cab driver Emilio Garcia was charged with murder for the deaths of Tierre Clark and Kadeem Brown, according to court records.

The driver of a green cab who killed a child and a man on a Bronx sidewalk last year was charged with murder.

The Bronx district attorney's office said Emilio Garcia was not taking his epilepsy medication when he fatally struck 5-year-old Tierre Clark and 25-year-old Kadeem Brown on the Grand Concourse at E. 170th Street on March 20, 2015.

Press accounts published after the crash said Clark injured two other people. One of the injured victims was reportedly a 55-year-old man. The other was Sanequa Howe, Tierre’s mother, who suffered bone fractures.

"When we are waiting for the bus, she gave me a kiss and she was dancing around, she never saw it coming," Howe told WABC.

Gothamist reported that, according to the DA’s office, Garcia was aware of his epilepsy and had been in another crash, causing injuries to a second driver, four months before Tierre and Brown were killed.

The DA's office told Streetsblog last October that Garcia was charged with manslaughter and homicide. According to court records, current charges against Garcia are two counts of murder, one count of assault (a class D felony), two counts of negligent homicide (a class E felony), and one misdemeanor count of reckless endangerment.

The case was originally brought by former district attorney Robert Johnson, who held the post for 27 years before stepping down at the end of 2015 to become a New York Supreme Court judge. He was succeeded by Darcel Clark.

In 2008 Auvryn Scarlett killed two Manhattan tourists after he went off his medication and had a seizure while at the wheel of a private garbage truck. Scarlett was convicted of murder, but an appeals court reduced the conviction to manslaughter.

Garcia has been in jail since last October and is currently on trial, court records say.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

Thursday’s Headlines: Set Our Calendar Edition

The next four weeks are setting up to be the World Cup tournament of the livable streets movement. Plus other news.

February 19, 2026

Cycle Club Sues City, Calling Central Park Bike Speed Limit A ‘Real Threat’ To Active Transportation

The New York Cycle Club filed a lawsuit against the city alleging it overstepped with 15 mile per hour speed limit in Central Park.

February 18, 2026

Mamdani Budget Adds Staff, Cash For More Bus And Bike Projects

The mayor wants to fill a budget gap identified by fiscal watchdogs as a key roadblock to making buses faster and cycling safer.

February 18, 2026

Advocates to MTA: More Fare Caps Will Be Fairer For All

The MTA has not introduced daily or monthly OMNY fare caps, even as it phased out daily and monthly MetroCards.

February 18, 2026

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda: Lessons for the Future of Congestion Pricing

This is how New York can take full advantage of congestion pricing.

February 18, 2026

Wednesday’s Headlines: What’s In the Couch Cushions Edition

All eyes were on Mayor Zohran Mamdani's first budget, but we were looking for the spare change for DOT. Plus other news.

February 18, 2026
See all posts