Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
Brad Lander

Brooklyn Electeds to DOT: Put Safety First at Atlantic and Flatbush

For Valentine’s Day, Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams and council members Brad Lander and Stephen Levin asked DOT to “complete" Atlantic Avenue. Photo: David Meyer
For Valentine’s Day, Brooklynites are asking if DOT will “Complete their Street” on Atlantic Avenue. Photo: David Meyer

About a dozen people braved the cold Saturday morning to call for pedestrian safety improvements at Brooklyn's Times Plaza and along the whole Atlantic Avenue corridor.

Times Plaza is the triangular public space at the convergence of Atlantic, Flatbush, and Fourth avenues. At a public meeting last month, local residents were disappointed that the redesign proposed by Barclays Center developer Forest City Ratner, which is contractually obligated to fund the project, failed to address pedestrian safety concerns.

“It was clear at the meeting from the community turnout that what we really needed at this plaza was a safer place to cross,” Transportation Alternatives Brooklyn Committee Co-Chair Bahij Chancey said on Saturday.

Chancey and TA were joined by Borough President Eric Adams, council members Brad Lander and Stephen Levin, Assembly Member Jo Anne Simon, and representatives from Senator Velmanette Montgomery’s office and the Atlantic Avenue BID.

“How could you plan a plaza here before you make it safe?” Lander asked. “The intersection has to be safe before the plaza is made lovely. Lovely is good, safety is essential, so let’s start there.” DOT has said it plans to present pedestrian improvements for the intersection this spring.

Times Plaza is surrounded by no less than 17 lanes of car traffic. Image: Google Maps
There were nearly 100 crashes at the three intersections around Times Plaza between January and July last year, according to local electeds. Image: Google Maps
People contend with long crosswalks and tides of turning vehicles at Times Plaza in Brooklyn. Image: Google Maps

DOT expanded the sidewalk on the west side of Times Plaza in 2011 as part of traffic mitigation for the Barclays Center. Redesigning the whole space would require partnership with the MTA, which owns the historic structure in the middle of the plaza.

Lander and five other city and state legislators have sent a letter to MTA Chair Tom Prendergast, DOT Commissioner Polly Trottenberg, and Forest City Ratner CEO MaryAnne Gilmartin asking them to jointly address the safety issues at the intersection and the design of the plaza. You can read the text below.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

Gov. Hochul Just Says ‘Way-No’ to Driverless Cabs Across NYS

The governor made the shocking choice to reverse her budget proposal that allowed companies like Waymo to expand throughout the state.

February 20, 2026

Friday Video: How Many ‘Better Billion’ Plans Are There?

Apparently, there are lots of better ways to spend $1 billion.

February 20, 2026

Friday’s Headlines: You’ve Gov To See It For Yourself Edition

South Bronx anti-highway advocates want Gov. Hochul to come see the site of her proposed Cross Bronx widening for herself. Plus more news.

February 20, 2026

SEE IT: Placard Corruption at Antonio Reynoso’s Brooklyn Borough Hall

The progressive darling promised to end the rampant practice of illegal parking around Borough Hall — but has continued to issue unofficial placards that enable it.

February 19, 2026

Thursday’s Headlines: Set Our Calendar Edition

The next four weeks are setting up to be the World Cup tournament of the livable streets movement. Plus other news.

February 19, 2026

Cycle Club Sues City, Calling Central Park Bike Speed Limit A ‘Real Threat’ To Active Transportation

The oldest recreational bike club sued the city alleging it overstepped with 15 mile per hour speed limit in Central Park.

February 18, 2026
See all posts