Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
Cy Vance

Is the Truck Driver Who Killed Roxana Sorina Buta Still Behind the Wheel?

NYC DOT has not responded to Streetsblog queries concerning the death of Roxana Sorina Buta, the woman allegedly struck and killed by a DOT truck driver in a hit-and-run crash near Union Square.

Roxana Sorina Buta. Photo via DNAinfo

On May 24 at approximately 1:30 a.m., Buta was walking across Broadway at 14th Street, in the crosswalk and with the light, when the driver of a dump truck made a right turn, ran her over and kept going, according to reports.

Buta, an aspiring actress who came to the U.S. from Romania at age 11, was on her way home to East Harlem from the restaurant where she worked. She was 21.

In early June, it was reported that the killer had been identified. At that time, Joseph Tacopina, the attorney hired by Buta's family, said police had confirmed that the driver worked for DOT. No charges or traffic citations were issued, according to a lawsuit filed by Buta's mother, which claims that her death resulted from negligence on the part of the driver, the city, DOT, the Department of Design and Construction and Mack Trucks.

“Upon information and belief, the driver fled the scene and is free to continue driving New York City dump trucks recklessly," reads the lawsuit.

In late October, Streetsblog emailed DOT for confirmation that the driver who killed Buta was an agency employee, and if so, whether the driver continues to operate DOT vehicles on the job. We followed up with a second email this week. DOT has yet to reply.

It's a characteristic outrage that NYPD and Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance would decline to pursue charges against a hit-and-run killer. But it would be disappointing, to say the least, if an agency that has done so much to make streets safer is allowing the person who killed Ms. Buta to continue to endanger lives.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

Gov. Hochul Just Says ‘Way-No’ to Driverless Cabs Across NYS

The governor made the shocking choice to reverse her budget proposal that allowed companies like Waymo to expand throughout the state.

February 20, 2026

Friday Video: How Many ‘Better Billion’ Plans Are There?

Apparently, there are lots of better ways to spend $1 billion.

February 20, 2026

Friday’s Headlines: You’ve Gov To See It For Yourself Edition

South Bronx anti-highway advocates want Gov. Hochul to come see the site of her proposed Cross Bronx widening for herself. Plus more news.

February 20, 2026

SEE IT: Placard Corruption at Antonio Reynoso’s Brooklyn Borough Hall

The progressive darling promised to end the rampant practice of illegal parking around Borough Hall — but has continued to issue unofficial placards that enable it.

February 19, 2026

Thursday’s Headlines: Set Our Calendar Edition

The next four weeks are setting up to be the World Cup tournament of the livable streets movement. Plus other news.

February 19, 2026

Cycle Club Sues City, Calling Central Park Bike Speed Limit A ‘Real Threat’ To Active Transportation

The oldest recreational bike club sued the city alleging it overstepped with 15 mile per hour speed limit in Central Park.

February 18, 2026
See all posts