The Weekly Carnage is a Friday round-up of motor vehicle violence across the five boroughs and beyond. For more on the origins and purpose of this column, please read About the Weekly Carnage.
Fatal Crashes (4 killed this week, 117 this year, 17 drivers charged*)
- Canarsie: Denise Pierrelus, 65, Fatally Struck Two Blocks from Home; "No Criminality" (Post Blotter)
- Flatlands: Gillian Hall, 56, Killed by Hit-and-Run Driver While Crossing Street (News)
- Sunnyside, SI: James Mangano, 46, Ejected from His SUV in Two-Car Crash; "No Criminality" (Advance)
- Gowanus Expressway: Charles Russelli, 44, Killed in Rear-End Collision (Advance)
Injuries, Arrests and Property Damage
- Harlem: Drunk Driver Runs Reds and Crashes Into Cab, Injuring Three (DNAinfo)
- Jamaica: Unlicensed, Drunk Driver Plows Into Family of Three Standing Next to Their Car (YourNabe)
- Grasmere: U-Haul Driver Pulling Out of Parking Lot Crashes Into Parked Car, Jumps Curb (Advance)
- Ridgewood: Man Charged with DWI After Slamming Into Parked Cars (Post Blotter)
- West Brighton: Angry Driver Throws Can at Traffic Enforcement Agent After Being Issued Ticket (Advance)
- SI Expressway: Three-Vehicle Crash Adds to "Misery" of Motorists' Commute (Advance)
In the Region, Out of Town
- North Bergen, NJ: Teen Passenger Killed in Single-Car Crash; Teen Driver Injured (Jersey Journal)
- West Babylon, NY: Grandmother Arrested for Driving Under the Influence of Drugs With 2-Year-Old (NBC NY)
- Stamford, CT: 80-Year-Old Driver Injured After Crashing Into Metro-North Train (Stamford Advocate)
- West Nyack, NY: Drunk Driver Who Crashed With Four Children in the Car Faces Charges under Leandra's Law (LoHud)
- Peconic, NY: Car Carrying Five People Flips on Highway (Suffolk Times)
- Off-Duty Bronx Cop Charged with Vehicular Manslaughter, Criminally Negligent Homicide in Death of Pedestrian (Bronx Times)
- Reckless Driving Charge Against Driver in Fatal Chinatown-Bound Bus Crash Dropped (Post)
- Charges Possible in Death of CT Man Who Fell from the Back of a Pickup Truck (Post)
- SI Advance: DMV Putting Convenience Over Safety by Dropping Vision Tests for License Renewals is "Nuts"
- Cuomo Reportedly Reverses Plan to Drop Vision Tests (Albany Watch)
- DOT Adds Audible Walk Signals to Help Visually Impaired Pedestrians Cross the Street (News)
- Study Finds Today's SUV's "Less Likely" to Kill Passengers in Smaller Vehicles During Crashes (Wheels)
* Based on latest available reports
Thanks for reading!
Register or log in to continue.