The Bronx
Top Categories
Vanessa Gibson Endorses Grand Concourse Protected Bike Lane
Council Member Vanessa Gibson wants protected bike lanes on the Grand Concourse. After meeting with Bronx Transportation Alternatives volunteers this week, Gibson signed onto the campaign, joining four other council members whose districts include the Concourse.
August 26, 2016
De Blasio, Vacca, Trottenberg Rebuff Opponents of East Tremont Safety Plan
A leader of the Throggs Neck Merchants Association tried to thwart DOT's safety plan for East Tremont Avenue at a town hall in the Bronx last night and was firmly rebuffed by Mayor de Blasio, Council Member Jimmy Vacca, and Transportation Commissioner Polly Trottenberg. After the exchange, Raisa Jimenez, whose son Giovianni Nin was killed by a hit-and-run driver on East Tremont earlier this year, made an emotional plea to prevent the further loss of life.
August 11, 2016
Tonight: Tell Mayor de Blasio the Bronx Supports a Safer Tremont Avenue
Mayor de Blasio will hold a town hall in Throggs Neck tonight, and Transportation Alternatives organizers are expecting a significant turnout from a small but vocal group of area residents and businesses who oppose a DOT road diet for East Tremont Avenue.
August 10, 2016
Bronx CB 8 Delays Vote on Play Street Where Driver Killed 8-Year-Old
Bronx Community Board 8 delayed a decision on whether to approve a play street application from the school where a motorist killed 8-year-old Rylee Ramos, when people complained that a play street at a different school would interfere with their driving.
August 10, 2016
DOT Overrides CB 10, Advances E. Tremont Safety Project After Cyclist Death
DOT will implement a road diet on the stretch of East Tremont Avenue where a motorist killed cyclist Giovanni Nin in June. Last year DOT had dropped the project in response to a hostile reception from Bronx Community Board 10.
July 19, 2016
Vacca Blames Bronx CB for Deadly Street Design, But He’s Culpable Too
DOT failed to make safety improvements to the deadly stretch of East Tremont Avenue where a driver struck and killed cyclist Giovanni Nin last month, and City Council Member James Vacca says Bronx Community Board 10 is to blame.
July 12, 2016
Victim-Blaming Commences After Bruckner Boulevard Claims Another Life
A motorist struck and killed a man last night on Bruckner Boulevard, a Bronx street designed to facilitate speeding and one of the borough's most dangerous places to walk.
July 11, 2016
First Look at DOT’s Concept for Better Grand Concourse Bike Lanes
In February, DOT said it would upgrade the bike lanes on the Grand Concourse service roads, and last night the agency showed what it has in mind for the mile-long stretch between 166th Street and 175th Street [PDF].
June 2, 2016
Car-Free “Boogie on the Boulevard” Opens Up the Grand Concourse for Play
Sunday marked the first car-free "Boogie on the Boulevard" of 2016, and for a few hours on a few blocks, the center lanes of the Grand Concourse were full of people.
May 31, 2016
To Improve Walking and Biking Across the Harlem River, DOT’s Thinking Big
There are 16 bridges linking Manhattan and the Bronx, but if you walk or bike between the boroughs, safe, convenient routes are still scarce. That could change if DOT follows through on ideas the agency released this spring to improve walking and biking access over the Harlem River bridges [PDF].
May 17, 2016