Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
Around the Block

Dallas Council Members Say Bus Network Overhaul Can’t Wait

In 2015, Houston implemented a top-to-bottom bus network overhaul to turn around flagging ridership by bringing frequent service to more of the city at more times. That example has inspired cities around the country to look at the way their own bus networks are structured with fresh eyes.

Among the agencies that took an interest in a bus overhaul was Dallas's DART. But there wasn't much urgency, with DART's timetable pushing improvements for riders several years out into the future. Meanwhile, DART's ridership has been dropping (one local pundit recently called it the "worst transit agency in America").

Now, thanks a more engaged Dallas City Council, it looks like DART is turning a corner. The council has appointed a slate of DART board members who are pressing for change sooner rather than later, reports Julie Fancher at the Dallas Morning News:

The Dallas City Council voted unanimously last fall to make overhauling the bus system a top priority. That decision was cited in a recent effort to replace several of the city’s DART board representatives.

Four new DART board members -- Catherine Cuellar, Dominique Torres, Ray Jackson and Jon-Bertrell Killen -- were named earlier this month. Each said they’d push hard to fix the bus network. And board member Patrick Kennedy, who started his term in January, told the council's transportation committee last month that he has been working closely with DART staff on issues plaguing the bus system.

It's fascinating to see how smart, committed political leadership can jolt a transit agency to get its butt in gear to help riders.

More recommended readin today: The State Smart Transportation Initiative looks at research about the relationship between marijuana legalization and auto crash risks. Urban Milwaukee reports that city kids are appealing to council members for safer streets. And Seattle Bike Blog reports that after the city-funded Pronto bike-share system shut down, two private firms are competing to launch at nearly the same scale.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

Not So Fast! We Rode NYC Ferry with Would-Be Council Speaker Amanda Farías

Council Member Julie Menin claims she has the votes to be the next Speaker, but Bronx Council Member Amanda Farías has shown a lot more interest in livable streets issues.

November 28, 2025

Book Excerpt Special: Jonathan Lethem’s ‘Program’s Progress’

Class struggle. Infirm secondary superheroes. Suicidal sheep. It’s all in Jonathan Lethem's new collection of short stories, "A Different Kind of Tension." Here's one — featuring class struggle with cars!

November 28, 2025

Special Post-Thanksgiving Friday Video: The Positive Economics of Bike Lanes

Some yahoo in Montreal said that whatever bike lanes cost, they're too expensive! Well, no they're not.

November 28, 2025

Friday’s Headlines: Curbside Slide Edition

Good-bye, streeteries, we hardly knew ye. Plus other news.

November 28, 2025

Thursday’s Headlines: Giving Thanks(ish) Edition

Yes, let's give thanks. But let us also not forget why we're so lucky. Plus other news for your holiday day off.

November 27, 2025

‘Gold Standard’ Open Street Has Two Paths Forward To Become True ‘Paseo Park’

The DOT is contemplating two options for the 1.3 mile-long linear park in Jackson Heights. Which would you choose?

November 26, 2025
See all posts