This Week: Amsterdam Avenue, Fourth Avenue, Queens Boulevard
In March, DOT presented a plan for an Amsterdam Avenue road diet with painted bike lanes to the Manhattan Community Board 9 transportation committee. The project would stripe bike lanes from 113th Street to 162nd Street, defining space for bicycling but not adding physical protection.
We got word that DOT made changes to the project after it was presented in March, possibly in response to negative feedback from CB 9. You can weigh in when DOT brings the plan back to CB 9 on Thursday.
Two other big street redesign projects are on the calendar: On Wednesday, Queens Community Board 6 will take up the Rego Park phase of DOT’s Queens Boulevard redesign, and on Thursday, DOT goes to Sunset Park for the second workshop about the redesign of Fourth Avenue.
Here are this calendar week’s highlights. Check the full calendar for more info on these and other events.
- Tuesday: The Manhattan CB 7 transportation committee will discuss the W. 88th Street Citi Bike dock. 250 W. 87th Street. 7 p.m.
- Wednesday: Earlier this month, the Queens CB 6 transportation committee voted in favor of the next phase of the Queens Boulevard redesign. Now the project goes to the full board. Kew Gardens Community Center, 8002 Kew Gardens Rd # 202. 7 p.m.
- Also Wednesday: DOT will make a presentation on B82 Select Bus Service to the Brooklyn CB 14 transportation committee. The committee will also review an assessment of traffic-calming measures in the south Brooklyn district. 810 E. 16th Street, Brooklyn. 7 p.m.
- Thursday: DOT brings its plan for an Amsterdam Avenue road diet and bike lanes back to Manhattan CB 9. 583 Riverside Drive. 6:30 p.m.
- Also Thursday: DOT holds its second public workshop for the Fourth Avenue redesign. I.S. 136, 4004 Fourth Avenue. 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday: DOT and the Brownsville Community Justice Center host the “Be on Belmont” Weekend Walks event. Belmont Avenue will be car-free between Rockaway Avenue and Watkins Street. 2 p.m.
Watch the calendar for updates. Drop us a line if you have an event we should know about.