Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
John Liu

Don’t Like John Liu’s No-Toll Proposal? He’s Asking for Budget Suggestions

Last month, mayoral candidate and Comptroller John Liu released a series of proposals to show what his office believes should be included in the city's final Fiscal Year 2014 budget. It included some bad ideas, such as exempting city residents from East River bridge tolls, and a few good ones, like dramatically increasing the size of NYPD's Collision Investigation Squad.

Now, Liu is asking for ideas as part of his "People's Budget" initiative. The top three winners will get mentioned by Liu in his budget testimony before the City Council on June 5.

"Streetsblog is a pretty thoughtful community," comptroller policy analyst Doug Giuliano said. While the focus is on big issues that are often ignored during budget season as the mayor and the council tussle over service cuts, Giuliano said the goal is to give citizens more access to the budget process generally. "We're happy to get everyone's input and ideas," he said.

The public is encouraged to solicit and vote up or down ideas at the comptroller's website, which launched last Tuesday and already has more than 100 suggestions. The comptroller's office has seeded the initiative with suggestions of its own, some of which come straight from last month's report:

Ideas suggested by the public include eliminating subway and bus fares for city residents and creating safe streets for walking and bicycling.

Liu's initiative takes a page from the participatory budgeting playbook, but unlike the process undertaken by a handful of council members, it will not directly result in implementation. Liu's proposal includes a proposal to expand participatory budgeting, which included a few livable streets proposals this year.

Voting closes on June 2. Liu's office does not have any specific plans for the budget suggestions other than a mention in the comptroller's testimony.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

Gov. Hochul Just Says ‘Way-No’ to Driverless Cabs Across NYS

The governor made the shocking choice to reverse her budget proposal that allowed companies like Waymo to expand throughout the state.

February 20, 2026

Friday Video: How Many ‘Better Billion’ Plans Are There?

Apparently, there are lots of better ways to spend $1 billion.

February 20, 2026

Friday’s Headlines: You’ve Gov To See It For Yourself Edition

South Bronx anti-highway advocates want Gov. Hochul to come see the site of her proposed Cross Bronx widening for herself. Plus more news.

February 20, 2026

SEE IT: Placard Corruption at Antonio Reynoso’s Brooklyn Borough Hall

The progressive darling promised to end the rampant practice of illegal parking around Borough Hall — but has continued to issue unofficial placards that enable it.

February 19, 2026

Thursday’s Headlines: Set Our Calendar Edition

The next four weeks are setting up to be the World Cup tournament of the livable streets movement. Plus other news.

February 19, 2026

Cycle Club Sues City, Calling Central Park Bike Speed Limit A ‘Real Threat’ To Active Transportation

The oldest recreational bike club sued the city alleging it overstepped with 15 mile per hour speed limit in Central Park.

February 18, 2026
See all posts