This Week: Defending Riverside Park, Extending Eighth Avenue
Two community boards turn their attention this week to important pieces of Manhattan bike infrastructure: the Riverside Park connection to the Hudson River Greenway and the Eighth Avenue protected bike path. By reiterating the right of cyclists to ride through Riverside Park and showing support for the Eighth Avenue path and its proposed extension, CB 4 and CB 7 can help protect and improve the borough’s existing bike network. Also on Wednesday, a daylong conference on what makes New York’s land-use process unique and how to improve it.
- Tonight: Manhattan Community Board 7’s Parks Committee will consider the "cyclists dismount" signs recently installed in Riverside Park. 7 p.m.
- Tuesday: TA’s Summer Benefit honors Tim Tompkins of the Times Square Alliance and Port Authority head Christopher Ward. 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: Pace University and the Municipal Art Society host a conference on reforming NYC’s land use process. 8:30 a.m.
- Also Wednesday: Manhattan Community Board 4 votes on extending the Eighth Avenue protected bike path to 34th Street. 6:30 p.m.
- Weekend: Lots of weekend walks and other fun stuff, including the City of Water Day Festival — a chance to enjoy the waterfront via human-powered boating activities.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.