Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
Congestion Pricing

Pricing is Alive. JFK Rail Link and SMART Fund May be Dead.

Annie Karni reports in today's New York Sun that the outlines of a congestion pricing bill may be hammered out in Albany before Memorial Day, though not exactly as Mayor Bloomberg initially proposed.

Karni writes that MTA executive director Lee Sander would prefer to see the $3.75 billion earmarked for a direct rail link from Lower Manhattan to JFK Airport allocated to the Second Avenue subway instead.

Critics of the JFK Rail Link, which have included the Regional PlanAssociation, say the project would benefit fewer riders than a newsubway line. Because it would cut down on the commute between LongIsland's North Shore and Lower Manhattan, some say it would mostlybenefit downtown developers by narrowing the large gap between Midtownand Downtown rents.

Sander also doesn't like PlaNYC's proposal to direct congestion pricing revenue to a new transit funding authority known as the SMART fund.

Mr. Sander on Friday expressed grave misgivings about the creationof a new funding authority at an oversight hearing run by AssemblymanRichard Brodsky, a Democrat of Westchester.

State Senate leader Joe Bruno is reported to be enthusiastic about Mayor Bloomberg's plans.

"He called the mayor's presentation last week to Senate Republicans 'outstanding,'" and sources say he is likely to support the mayor's plan.

And Karni's sources speculate that State Assembly Leader Sheldon Silver may be willing to swap his beloved one-seat ride to JFK for the completion of the Second Avenue subway.

"The city needs a full length Second Avenue Subway, as opposed to themoney being spread out in smaller pieces of big projects," the chiefattorney for the Straphangers Campaign, Gene Russianoff, said. "Theproblem over the last 10 years has been that if you're for all of theprojects, you're really for none of them. That's why they've inchedalong."

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

Gov. Hochul Just Says ‘Way-No’ to Driverless Cabs Across NYS

The governor made the shocking choice to reverse her budget proposal that allowed companies like Waymo to expand throughout the state.

February 20, 2026

Friday Video: How Many ‘Better Billion’ Plans Are There?

Apparently, there are lots of better ways to spend $1 billion.

February 20, 2026

Friday’s Headlines: You’ve Gov To See It For Yourself Edition

South Bronx anti-highway advocates want Gov. Hochul to come see the site of her proposed Cross Bronx widening for herself. Plus more news.

February 20, 2026

SEE IT: Placard Corruption at Antonio Reynoso’s Brooklyn Borough Hall

The progressive darling promised to end the rampant practice of illegal parking around Borough Hall — but has continued to issue unofficial placards that enable it.

February 19, 2026

Thursday’s Headlines: Set Our Calendar Edition

The next four weeks are setting up to be the World Cup tournament of the livable streets movement. Plus other news.

February 19, 2026

Cycle Club Sues City, Calling Central Park Bike Speed Limit A ‘Real Threat’ To Active Transportation

The oldest recreational bike club sued the city alleging it overstepped with 15 mile per hour speed limit in Central Park.

February 18, 2026
See all posts