Above the Law: Parking Permit Abuse Study Released
Transportation Alternatives has released a study of parking permit abuse among New York City employees (as observed in nine neighborhoods). Their press release notes the study’s key findings:
- Citywide, more than 3 out of every 4 permit holders (77%) use their permits illegally.
- The NYPD is responsible for 46% of illegal permit abuse, by far the largest share from any single agency.
- Of valid permits used illegally at the curbside (i.e. illegally parking at signs with riders forbidding that particular permit’s usage), the NYPD is responsible for 63% of the abuse.
- Of permit abuse that caused safety hazards, such as blocking fire hydrants, parking on sidewalks, in crosswalks, intersections, and bus stops, the NYPD again leads the way with 61% of overall abuse.
- Court Officers are responsible for the majority of fraudulent permits with 54% of the total, followed by Corrections, Court Clerks, and the FDNY.