Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
Carnage

SI Motorist Who Killed Senior Mary Cerqua Pleads to Violating Victim’s Right of Way

Video showed Deborah Pecoraro strike Mary Cerqua while making a left turn into the crosswalk at Hylan Boulevard and Wiman Avenue. Image via NY1

A driver who killed a senior walking on Hylan Boulevard has pled guilty to violating the victim's right of way.

At around 9:24 a.m. on April 12, 2016, Deborah Pecoraro hit 73-year-old Mary Cerqua with a Nissan SUV while making a left turn into the crosswalk at Hylan and Wiman Avenue.

Mary Cerqua
Mary Cerqua
Mary Cerqua

Cerqua, who lived in Great Kills, sustained head trauma and died at Staten Island University Hospital.

The Daily News reported that Pecoraro, of Annadale, told police Cerqua caused the crash. NYPD routinely blames the victims of fatal traffic crashes based on the drivers' version of events, though those accounts are often proven false. In this case, video evidence showed the victim was following traffic rules when she was struck.

Court records say Pecoraro, then 55, was charged with a misdemeanor under the city's Right of Way Law, failure to exercise due care, and disorderly conduct -- a violation that includes a provision for disrupting vehicular or pedestrian traffic. She pled guilty earlier this month to the right of way charge and disorderly conduct.

Under the terms of the plea agreement, Pecoraro will take a driving course and participate in a victim impact panel, according to the Staten Island Advance. When those conditions are met, the misdemeanor conviction will be vacated, and Pecoraro will be sentenced to a conditional discharge for the disorderly conduct conviction and will be fined $250, the Advance reported.

The Advance says Pecoraro is the first Staten Island motorist to plead guilty to a Right of Way Law violation. Staten Island drivers have killed at least 18 people walking and biking since the law took effect in 2014, according to crash data tracked by Streetsblog. Drivers were known to be charged for taking victims' lives in four of those cases.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

Mamdani Budget Adds Staff, Cash For More Bus And Bike Projects

The mayor wants to fill a budget gap identified by fiscal watchdogs as a key roadblock to making buses faster and cycling safer.

February 18, 2026

Advocates to MTA: More Fare Caps Will Be Fairer For All

The MTA has not introduced daily or monthly OMNY fare caps, even as it phased out daily and monthly MetroCards.

February 18, 2026

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda: Lessons for the Future of Congestion Pricing

This is how New York can take full advantage of congestion pricing.

February 18, 2026

Wednesday’s Headlines: What’s In the Couch Cushions Edition

All eyes were on Mayor Zohran Mamdani's first budget, but we were looking for the spare change for DOT. Plus other news.

February 18, 2026

Relay — The Delivery App You Didn’t Know You Were Using — Pulls Out As NYC Ramps Up Worker Protections

Relay is shutting down operations in New York City, leaving thousands of workers without jobs.

February 17, 2026

Opinion: Mamdani Must Do More Than Just Undo the Mistakes of Eric Adams

Mamdani deserve credit for the quick wins, but there's only so much he can accomplish by reversing the mistakes of Eric Adams.

February 17, 2026
See all posts