Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
Carnage

Retired NYPD Officer Pleads to Homicide in Killing of Bronx Pedestrian Marino Nunez

Broadway at W. 254th Street, where Jorge Hernaiz fatally struck Marino Nunez in 2015. A plan to make this stretch of Broadway safer for walking and biking is under attack from Bronx Community Board 8. Photo: Google Maps

A retired NYPD officer who killed a Bronx pedestrian while driving drunk has pled guilty to homicide.

Jorge Hernaiz struck 34-year-old Marino Nunez at W. 254th Street and Broadway in Riverdale at around 3 a.m. on May 31, 2015. Hernaiz, then 44, had just exited the Henry Hudson Parkway before he ran over the victim with a Toyota sedan.

According to the criminal complaint [PDF], police found Nunez on the ground with part of his skull missing. Hernaiz had bloodshot eyes, smelled of alcohol, was unsteady on his feet, and at one point “fell over spontaneously,” the complaint says. He told police he had been drinking vodka and beer while shooting pool before attempting to drive home to Yonkers. Police found a mostly empty vodka bottle in Hernaiz’s car.

Witnesses called 911 as Hernaiz tried to remove Nunez from underneath the car, the Bronx district attorney’s office said in a press release [PDF].

Hernaiz, who worked at the 43rd Precinct in the Bronx for 14 years and retired in 2008, consented to a blood draw at the scene, but fought police when they tried to put him in handcuffs. His blood alcohol content was measured at .25, more than three times the legal limit for driving.

Nunez, father of two, died days after the crash.

Then-DA Robert Johnson charged Hernaiz with aggravated vehicular homicide, two counts of manslaughter, three counts of driving drunk, reckless driving, and resisting arrest.

According to court records, earlier this month Hernaiz pled guilty to the top charge -- aggravated vehicular homicide, a class B felony with penalties ranging from one to 25 years in jail. He is scheduled to be sentenced in August.

Bronx Community Board 8 is currently resisting a DOT plan to make Broadway safer for walking and biking from W. 242nd Street to the Yonkers city limits, along the border of Van Cortlandt Park.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

Gov. Hochul Just Says ‘Way-No’ to Driverless Cabs Across NYS

The governor made the shocking choice to reverse her budget proposal that allowed companies like Waymo to expand throughout the state.

February 20, 2026

Friday Video: How Many ‘Better Billion’ Plans Are There?

Apparently, there are lots of better ways to spend $1 billion.

February 20, 2026

Friday’s Headlines: You’ve Gov To See It For Yourself Edition

South Bronx anti-highway advocates want Gov. Hochul to come see the site of her proposed Cross Bronx widening for herself. Plus more news.

February 20, 2026

SEE IT: Placard Corruption at Antonio Reynoso’s Brooklyn Borough Hall

The progressive darling promised to end the rampant practice of illegal parking around Borough Hall — but has continued to issue unofficial placards that enable it.

February 19, 2026

Thursday’s Headlines: Set Our Calendar Edition

The next four weeks are setting up to be the World Cup tournament of the livable streets movement. Plus other news.

February 19, 2026

Cycle Club Sues City, Calling Central Park Bike Speed Limit A ‘Real Threat’ To Active Transportation

The oldest recreational bike club sued the city alleging it overstepped with 15 mile per hour speed limit in Central Park.

February 18, 2026
See all posts