Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
San Francisco

In San Francisco, Victims of Traffic Violence Don’t Have Equal Protection

Editor's note: As the prosecution of cyclist Chris Bucchere, accused of manslaughter for fatally striking pedestrian Sutchi Hui, has drawn national attention, we thought this story would be of interest to our New York readers.

SF District Attorney George Gascón is set to bring felony vehicular manslaughter charges against Chris Bucchere later today for biking into 71-year-old Sutchi Hui in a crosswalk at Castro and Market Streets, killing him. Any traffic death on our streets deserves a thorough investigation with appropriate charges filed against the responsible party. But this high-profile case raises the question of why so few other perpetrators of traffic violence face similar repercussions.

So far, six other pedestrians are known to have been killed in San Francisco this year. SFPD and the DA have not drawn nearly the same level of public scrutiny to those cases as they have to the Bucchere/Hui case. The media, meanwhile, is captivated. The most visible difference setting Bucchere's case apart, of course, is that he was riding a bike when he killed Hui, while the people who killed the six other victims were driving motor vehicles.

All pedestrians who are injured on SF streets (899 in 2011) and the survivors of those who are killed (17 victims last year) deserve thorough investigations and appropriate actions from law enforcement agencies to deter dangerous behavior, regardless of the mode of travel of the perpetrator. But the DA and SFPD don't display the same zeal for prosecuting drivers who kill (save those who are drunk or flee the scene) as they have for Bucchere.

Gascón and the SFPD have improved their record in recent months by charging a few such drivers in 2011 cases, and spokesperson Stephanie Ong Stillman argues that the DA's office has given fair attention to cases that the SFPD has brought before it.

However, the SFPD apparently doesn't treat all traffic fatalities equally, even in cases where police investigators determine the driver to be at fault. So far, there has been no action against the drivers responsible for the deaths of 47-year-old Sena Putra and 22-year-old Robert Yegge -- both of whom were killed within the last month by truck drivers who the SFPD says failed to yield. The evidence that the drivers who killed Putra and Yegge violated the law seems comparable, if not stronger, than the evidence in the Bucchere case, yet there is no word that the department will seek charges. (Streetsblog has requested a list of pedestrian fatalities presented by the SFPD to the DA's office for investigation this year. DA staff said it is compiling the list, but we have not received it as we go to press.)

To build a legally defensible case against Bucchere, prosecutors went to great lengths to gather evidence, as is appropriate for any traffic death. They collected GPS data and surveillance footage, and spent weeks tracking down witnesses to make the case that Bucchere's illegal behavior caused the crash (he apparently entered the intersection on a yellow light, which isn't illegal). Sources said the DA ran into hurdles in building the case, which led to a delay in Gascón's announcement of the widely-anticipated charges. According to a statement from the DA's office, Gascón will try to prove recklessness by focusing on Bucchere's pattern of behavior leading up to the crash, during which he allegedly sped and ran stop signs -- a case which the SF Bay Guardian said rests on questionable grounds.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

Thursday’s Headlines: Set Our Calendar Edition

The next four weeks are setting up to be the World Cup tournament of the livable streets movement. Plus other news.

February 19, 2026

Cycle Club Sues City, Calling Central Park Bike Speed Limit A ‘Real Threat’ To Active Transportation

The New York Cycle Club filed a lawsuit against the city alleging it overstepped with 15 mile per hour speed limit in Central Park.

February 18, 2026

Mamdani Budget Adds Staff, Cash For More Bus And Bike Projects

The mayor wants to fill a budget gap identified by fiscal watchdogs as a key roadblock to making buses faster and cycling safer.

February 18, 2026

Advocates to MTA: More Fare Caps Will Be Fairer For All

The MTA has not introduced daily or monthly OMNY fare caps, even as it phased out daily and monthly MetroCards.

February 18, 2026

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda: Lessons for the Future of Congestion Pricing

This is how New York can take full advantage of congestion pricing.

February 18, 2026

Wednesday’s Headlines: What’s In the Couch Cushions Edition

All eyes were on Mayor Zohran Mamdani's first budget, but we were looking for the spare change for DOT. Plus other news.

February 18, 2026
See all posts