Skip to Content
Streetsblog New York City home
Streetsblog New York City home
Log In
High-Speed Rail

USDOT Tries to Resuscitate the HSR Dreams Congress Wants to Bury

High-speed rail has had a rough go of it lately. The House refused to give it a dime for next year, while the Senate only managed to allocate a fraction of what the president wanted. President Obama stuck some money back in via his jobs package, but it already seems clear that the package won’t pass as proposed, and we know high-speed rail is the always first for the chopping block.

Despite innumerable setbacks, progress is still being made on high-speed and intercity rail. Photo credit: Taiwan High-Speed Rail Corporation.

Meanwhile, if you look at USDOT, the well of rail funding just seems to keep on giving.

“They just keep cranking it out,” said Andy Kunz, president of the US High-Speed Rail Association. “Even when you think all the money’s all spent, they pull more money out of a hat.”

It didn’t just come out of a hat, of course. It came from the stimulus money, which is still giving, nearly three years later. Nearly the whole $8 billion allocation for high-speed rail in the stimulus has now been given out, thanks in part to USDOT’s energetic allocations these last few months – including re-allocating money returned by Florida, whose governor decided the state would be better off without high-speed rail.

Yonah Freemark writes in The Transport Politic that the Department of Transportation has been “pushing grants out of the federal government’s hands as quickly as possible so that they can not be rescinded.”

In September alone, the Federal Railroad Administration has approved hundreds of millions of dollars for intercity rail upgrades nationwide: $149 million for New York State, $116 million for New England, $49 million for Texas, $48 million for North Carolina and Virginia, $35 million for the Northeast Corridor, $31 million for Washington State, and $13 million for Oregon, among others. Earlier this summer, hundreds of millions of dollars were appropriated to California and the Northeast. Unless states turn back the money, unlikely considering that the projects have gotten so far and their pro-rail sponsors, these funds cannot be taken back by Congress.

It’s a good strategy. Big pots of money, lying unused, are tempting bait for budget-cutters in Congress — and right now there are a lot of people looking for potential cuts, from the super committee on down. But if there’s just loose change left over, it won’t make much of a dent and probably isn’t worth monkeying with — as much as Republicans would like the chance to say they’re cutting the deficit by cutting money from the high-speed rail “boondoggle.”

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog New York City

Gov. Hochul Just Says ‘Way-No’ to Driverless Cabs Across NYS

The governor made the shocking choice to reverse her budget proposal that allowed companies like Waymo to expand throughout the state.

February 20, 2026

Friday Video: How Many ‘Better Billion’ Plans Are There?

Apparently, there are lots of better ways to spend $1 billion.

February 20, 2026

Friday’s Headlines: You’ve Gov To See It For Yourself Edition

South Bronx anti-highway advocates want Gov. Hochul to come see the site of her proposed Cross Bronx widening for herself. Plus more news.

February 20, 2026

SEE IT: Placard Corruption at Antonio Reynoso’s Brooklyn Borough Hall

The progressive darling promised to end the rampant practice of illegal parking around Borough Hall — but has continued to issue unofficial placards that enable it.

February 19, 2026

Thursday’s Headlines: Set Our Calendar Edition

The next four weeks are setting up to be the World Cup tournament of the livable streets movement. Plus other news.

February 19, 2026

Cycle Club Sues City, Calling Central Park Bike Speed Limit A ‘Real Threat’ To Active Transportation

The oldest recreational bike club sued the city alleging it overstepped with 15 mile per hour speed limit in Central Park.

February 18, 2026
See all posts