This Week in Livable Streets Events
The biggest event on the Streetsblog Calendar this week looks to be the Sierra Club’s weekend "Green Transportation" conference. It’s great to see the Sierra Club focusing on transportation, and
hopefully livable streets advocates will not be daunted by the $50
food fee. Otherwise, this week is all about Brooklyn.
- Tuesday: The Future of Tillary Street — NYCDOT Public Meeting #2. Tillary Street plays a key role in the transportation network of downtown Brooklyn, providing linkages for pedestrians, motorists, and
cyclists alike, and its intersection with Adams Street is the gateway
to the Brooklyn Bridge. Tillary and portions of Adams are
scheduled for reconstruction in 2012. Following up on a successful public
workshop held in January, DOT will present conceptual
corridor designs. 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: Transportation Alternatives Brooklyn Membership Party. Join TA for drink specials, tasty snacks, raffles with awesome
giveaways, and livable streets camaraderie. Membership discounts will be offered, so if you haven’t yet joined TA this will be a great
chance to do so. 6:30 – 11 p.m. Related: The TA Brooklyn Committee holds its regular monthly meeting on Thursday.
- Thursday: Open House: Downtown Brooklyn Surface Transit Circulation Study. DOT is working with New
York City Transit and the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership to improve surface
transit within downtown Brooklyn. This study will focus on making bus
routes more effective and on improving local transportation for downtown residents, employees and visitors. The first "open house" will feature the initial results of the investigation into
existing conditions will offer attendees a chance to provide input about
travel patterns, needs, and issues. 5:30 – 8 p.m.
- Friday: Sierra Club Northeast Green Transportation Workshop. The Sierra Club Northeast Regional Activist
Network is hosting a special workshop for new and experienced Sierra
Club activists to map out the Club’s vision for green transportation in
the Northeastern United States. Check here for the full agenda of this three-day event.
- Sunday: There are three fun events today — Summer Streets on Vanderbilt Ave, starting at noon; Recycle-a-Bicycle’s Bike Maintenance 101 at 1 p.m.; and a TA Brooklyn ride to Coney Island in time to see the Brooklyn Cyclones take on the Hudson Valley Renegades. The ride begins at 3 p.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.