This week’s livable streets calendar is jam-packed, with events related to transit improvements and safer streets, plus a Robert Moses symposium and a three-day NACTO conference. The week culminates in the annual Streetsblog and Streetfilms benefit, coming Friday.
- Today: The MTA will host a public information session with updates on proposed Metro-North service in the east Bronx, including four stations that would serve Morris Park, Co-op City, Hunts Point and Parkchester, providing connections to Penn Station, Westchester and Connecticut. Today’s session will focus on the Parkchester station; the planning department will have an update on its Sustainable Communities study related to the proposed station area. 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: DOT will present a proposal for traffic calming on Pennsylvania Avenue to the Brooklyn Community Board 5 transportation committee. 6 p.m.
- Tuesday: Join Transportation Alternatives volunteer leaders to help campaign for safer 5th and 6th Avenues. Anyone interested in getting involved in branding and public relations for the “5th and 6th Forward” campaign is welcome to attend. 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: New York City Transit, DOT and DEP will present plans for Nostrand Avenue Select Bus Service features to Brooklyn Community Board 9. 7 p.m.
- Wednesday: NACTO hosts “Designing Cities: Leading the Way to World Class Streets,” an opportunity for elected officials, transportation leaders, and stakeholders from the public and private sector to forge a common vision for the cities of tomorrow. Registration for this three-day event ends today.
- Wednesday: The Museum of the City of New York and the Regional Plan Association present a symposium on Robert Moses’ impact on Staten Island, featuring Kenneth Jackson and Robert Yaro. 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: TA’s “5th and 6th Forward” campaign holds a meeting of the coalition-building working group. 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: Join fellow G train riders for a meeting to discuss what works, what doesn’t work, and to make G train service better. Hosted by Riders Alliance. 6:30 p.m.
- Friday: Join Streetsblog and Streetfilms for “Street of Dreams,” our annual benefit! Enjoy local food from Kickshaw Cookery, beer and wine, a bike-tastic silent auction, and the company of New Yorkers who share your vision of a better city. Our guest of honor is City Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito. 7 to 9:30 p.m. at WNYC’s The Greene Space. Get your tickets now.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.