This Week: More Space for Walking on 7th Avenue and Broadway in Midtown
This evening DOT will present a plan to make more room for people walking on Seventh Avenue by widening the sidewalk on the west side of the street from Times Square to Penn Station. Also on the agenda — a summer trial for making five blocks of Broadway car-free south of Times Square.
Tonight’s presentation, to the Manhattan CB 5 transportation committee, comes after the City Council passed a bill requiring DOT to improve the pedestrian environment at six locations with significant foot traffic. The city has made some improvements near Penn Station, but sidewalks still can’t accommodate the number of people walking there.
The other major public meeting is in downtown Flushing on Wednesday, when DOT and the Greater Flushing Chamber of Commerce host a workshop on improving bike infrastructure in the neighborhood.
Here are this calendar week’s highlights. Check the full calendar for more info on these and other events.
- Today: The Manhattan CB 5 transportation committee will hear from DOT on plans to widen the sidewalk on the west side of Seventh Avenue between 42nd Street and 34th Street, and to make Broadway car-free this summer between 36th Street and 41st Street. Bryant Park Corporation, 1065 Sixth Avenue. 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: Join Riders Alliance as they speak with Bx7 and Bx10 riders about bringing better bus service to the Bronx. 231st Street and Broadway. 5:30 p.m. Registration and other info here.
- Also Wednesday: DOT and the Greater Flushing Chamber of Commerce host a workshop on improving bike infrastructure in downtown Flushing. DOT will also be distributing bike maps, lights, and bells. Free Synagogue of Flushing, 136-23 Sanford Avenue. 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday: Riders Alliance will rally for better buses during the L train shutdown. Marci Triangle, 462 Union Avenue, Brooklyn. 11 a.m. More details here.
- Also Thursday: DOT holds a public workshop to solicit input for a permanent plaza at Hillel Place, near Brooklyn College in Flatbush. Brooklyn College Student Center, 2705 Campus Road. 6 p.m. Click for DOT contact info.
Watch the calendar for updates. Drop us a line if you have an event we should know about.