This Week: Join Streetsblog and Streetfilms for The Streets Ball
The annual benefit for Streetsblog and Streetfilms is Thursday — just three days away. Space is limited, so to guarantee your spot(s), buy your tickets by Wednesday at midnight. Join us at the Invisible Dog on Bergen Street as we honor the accomplishments of former NYC DOT policy director Jon Orcutt and Families For Safe Streets.
Before the benefit comes around, there are plenty of chances to speak up for better walking, biking and transit. Here are the highlights. Check the Streetsblog calendar for the full slate of events:
- Monday: The Brooklyn community boards spanning East New York and Brownsville will both be talking about biking and walking improvements tonight. CB 5 will consider safety improvements on Pennsylvania Avenue, expansion of the East New York bike network, and a Neighborhood Slow Zone. Adjacent CB 16 will take up bike corrals and street seats. Both meetings begin at 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: Join Riders Alliance, Council Member Donovan Richards, and other elected officials and advocates to fight for Bus Rapid Transit in Queens on the steps of City Hall. 10 a.m.
- Also Tuesday: More Brooklyn community board action… At 6 p.m., the CB 2 transportation committee will consider, among other items, PARK Smart reforms for Myrtle Avenue. At 6:30 p.m., CB 7’s Vision Zero task force turns its attention to Fifth Avenue and Eighth Avenue in Sunset Park. And at 7 p.m., the CB 9 transportation committee will consider a new bike lane for Franklin Avenue from Atlantic Avenue to Empire Boulevard, as well as speed humps in the Crown Heights Neighborhood Slow Zone.
- Wednesday: Council Member Ben Kallos is hosting a forum with NYPD to discuss enforcement of bike laws on the Upper East Side. 6 p.m.
- Also Wednesday: DOT continues its second round of public workshops on the Jamaica Bay Greenway with an event for residents of Marine Park, Mill Basin, and Sheepshead Bay. 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday: Join Streetsblog and Streetfilms as we celebrate the livable streets successes of 2014 at The Streets Ball, starting at 7 p.m. Buy your tickets today!