Panel: Jane Jacobs and the Future of New York: Can One Woman (Still) Make a Difference?
This panel will explore the social and historical context in which Jane Jacobs emerged, while examining the ways in which she has influenced urban design and planning today. What factors contributed to the paradigm shift she abetted? Are her principles still applicable and efficacious? To what extent has the world changed to match her vision, and to what extent are today’s challenges of a different caliber?
- Joe Giovannini, architect and critic — moderator
- Roberta Brandes Gratz, urbanist
- Chris Klemek, co-curator, Jane Jacobs and the Future of New York
- Julia Vitullo-Martin, Manhattan Institute
- Samuel Zipp, Brown University