This Week: Upgrading the Chrystie Street Bike Lane
There’s no shortage of livable streets events this week. Preparations for Citi Bike expansion continue with presentations and planning workshops in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and street revamps are on the agenda for the Upper West Side, DUMBO, and Brownsville.
In one intriguing development, the Manhattan Community Board 3 transportation committee is expected to take up the idea of improving a key link in the city’s bicycle network — the Chrystie Street bike lane. Chrystie Street currently provides access to the Manhattan Bridge with a worn-down painted lane that’s frequently blocked by double-parked vans, trucks, and buses. Turning it into a two-way protected bike lane running alongside Sara Delano Roosevelt Park would be a huge upgrade.
Here are the highlights — many more events are listed on the full Streetsblog calendar:
- Today: The Manhattan CB 6 transportation committee will discuss and possibly vote on a resolution pertaining to Citi Bike expansion in the district, which covers several East Side neighborhoods, and the committee will hear from the 13th Precinct on transportation issues. 7 p.m.
- Tuesday: At Brooklyn CB 1 (Greenpoint and Williamsburg), DOT and NYC Bike Share staff will discuss Citi Bike expansion. Also, DOT will present the proposal for improvements on Maspeth and Kingsland avenues. 6:30 p.m.
- More Tuesday: For the second time, DOT will present plans for changes to the Lincoln Square bowtie to the Manhattan CB 7 transportation committee. The committee will also discuss 20th Precinct crash data, and NYC Transit will make a presentation on the M60 and M86 routes. 7 p.m.
- Wednesday: The Manhattan CB 3 transportation committee is expected to take up a resolution urging the city to upgrade the Chrystie Street bike lane to a two-way protected lane alongside Sara Delano Roosevelt Park. The committee will also debate the location of a Citi Bike station in Confucius Plaza and hear from DDC concerning Safe Routes to Schools. 6:30 p.m.
- Also Wednesday: Kidical Mass NYC will hold a strategy session for its first ride in Upper Manhattan. 6:30 p.m. RSVP requested.
- Thursday: DOT and bike-share personnel will be on hand when Manhattan CB 8 (Upper East Side, Roosevelt Island) holds a Citi Bike community planning workshop. 6 p.m.
- Also Thursday: DOT will hold a second public workshop to gather feedback on safety issues along Linden Boulevard between Kings Highway and South Conduit Avenue at Brooklyn CB 16. 6:30 p.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updates. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.