Car-Free Sundays Return to the Bronx

In the early 1990’s three and a half miles of the Grand Concourse, a major arterial roadway
in the Bronx, was closed to cars every Sunday from July through November (kind of like Bogota Colombia’s Ciclovia).
The closures provided residents with much-needed open space to bike, walk, play and develop a sense of community with neighbors.
Despite its popularity, New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani killed the
program in 1996.

Last summer, Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion and Transportation Alternatives revived Car-Free Sunday’s on a trial basis. This year, the program is back again for five or six Sunday’s between June and October as a part of Bronx On The Move, a series of family fitness events.

Check out the StreetFilm from last year’s Car-Free Sunday on the Grand Concourse:

  • Outlaw

    Hate to say it — but big effin’ deal. A three block closure publicized nowhere except Streetsblog, guaranteeing that idle traffic will back up for miles in every direction. And during a day game at Yankee Stadium no less. Definitely not a net carbon benefit — not for Bronx residents or for NYC.

    Nice gesture, Carrion.

  • r

    Yes. How terrible for those children to have three whole empty blocks to play on six days per year. The shame.

  • aasdfada

    Yes – carrion is a true bastard. This event is a total joke

  • Angus Grieve-Smith

    I rollerbladed on the Car-Free Grand Concourse back in 1995. If I remember right, it went from Yankee Stadium all the way up past Fordham, possibly to Bedford Park Boulevard. The current incarnation is a pale shadow of its former glory.

ALSO ON STREETSBLOG

Streetfilms: Car-Free Sunday on the Grand Concourse

|
Car-Free Sunday on the Grand ConcourseA Clarence Eckerson, Jr. StreetfilmRunning time: 3:58 – 12.35 MB, QuickTime Back in the early 1990s, three-and-a-half miles of the Grand Concourse, a major roadway in the Bronx, was closed to cars every Sunday from July thru November. The car-free time provided residents with much-needed open space to bike, walk, play, […]

Bronx Beep Ruben Diaz Jr. Calls for Better Bikeway on Grand Concourse

|
Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. wants better bike infrastructure on the Grand Concourse. In his “State of the Borough” speech on Thursday, Diaz said a bike lane on the Concourse is among his 2016 policy goals. “We’ve made improvements to the Grand Concourse, and we will bring a dedicated bike lane to this iconic roadway,” Diaz said. […]